You have renovated and remodeled the inside of your home to perfection, but what about the backyard? Looking out your kitchen window at your backyard, do you sometimes stress over what could be an oasis there? Wouldn’t it be nice if you had the time, the means, and the help to create the perfect backyard? Thankfully, we have some great backyard ideas to help you transform your dull, drab and boring yard into the backyard living space of your dreams!
If When it comes to creating an outdoor sanctuary that’s perfect for entertaining, you’ve come to the right place. If you’re looking for modern backyard ideas, simple backyard ideas, outdoor party ideas, outdoor living space ideas, or backyard oasis ideas, we’ve got you covered. Here are the top 6 simple backyard ideas to turn your outdoor space into an oasis!
Garden & Pathways #1
You should let the natural environment take center stage when creating an outdoor oasis. Since your backyard is outdoors, you should create an environment that blends natural elements with your own aesthetic. It is the purpose of an outdoor oasis or backyard living space to escape the daily routine and enjoy nature.
Using your backyard as a living space allows you to reconnect with nature. You should invest in landscaping, florals, trees, and plants that are native to the area, as well as fresh air and nature when using outdoor furniture and decor. Your natural environment can take center stage in many ways.
Here are a few simple backyard ideas for nature:
- Flower beds planted with perennials.
- Creating a vegetable and citrus garden that can be eaten.
- Plant trees with large canopies to cover your backyard oasis with shade.
- Planting evergreen shrubs alongside blooming bushes.
- Build a stepping stone, rock, or wood pathway throughout your garden so that you can meander through it.
- Your backyard can be enhanced by adding garden pallets. Add squash, tomatoes, and herbs!
Of There are a variety of plants you can grow in your backyard oasis, depending on your location. You might plant cacti, succulents, and ground cover plants if you are looking for Arizona backyard ideas. Even so, no backyard living space would be complete without its carefully cultivated natural beauty.
#2 Hammocks, tree benches, swings, and comfortable seating are available
In addition to your natural surroundings, outdoor seating is the second most important feature of your backyard. Your backyard oasis can accommodate any type of gathering, with a variety of seating arrangements and types.
- You couldn’t ask for a more relaxing backyard feature than hammocks. Hammocks allow you to enjoy the fresh air and natural environment in style. Add a rug, some bohemian throw pillows, and a colorful blanket for a backyard living space to die for.
- How about tree benches in your backyard? Do you have a big tree? Put it to good use! By creating a tree bench around the base of the tree, you can create a comfortable and inviting space that is perfect for an afternoon of reading or deep conversation.
- Swings: Do you have a young family with lots of little kids running around? Perhaps you’re young at heart! Adding a swing to your backyard tree is a great way to encourage fun. Adding swings is still possible if you do not have a large tree – just think of swing sofas!
- Having a few comfortable outdoor sofas and chairs will ensure that everyone has a place to sit and relax when they come over for drinks and dinner. It has only taken a few short years for outdoor patio and garden furniture to advance so far that now, you can create a backyard oasis that is all about comfort, leisure, and style. Consider outdoor daybeds, dining tables, small end tables, oversized loveseats, and lounge chairs for all your outdoor seating needs!
The outdoor bar, kitchen, and dining area is the third place to eat
Simple backyard ideas for eating and dining include outdoor eating and dining! With outdoor dining, you can create a haven full of good food, good drinks, and great times in your backyard.
- The possibilities are endless with an outdoor kitchen! After a long day, relax in your backyard living space with a glass of wine and some steak on the grill. By adding a trash compactor, small refrigerator, sink, and stovetop, you can transform your patio into the perfect entertaining area!
- You should make your outdoor bar a place where you can celebrate, feel serenity, and feel happy. Outdoor bars are ideal for cultivating intimate conversations and exhilarating celebratory moments.
- Grilling on your outdoor backyard grill (also known as your outdoor oasis!) is an unforgettable experience. Grilling in your backyard oasis is made easy with an integrated grill and adjacent counter space.
- You should treat your outdoor dining table as you would your indoor dining table! It is definitely all the rage right now to dine al fresco. Organize your event with chairs, linens, dishes, glasses, and decor galore! An outdoor dining room is an absolute necessity if you are looking for outdoor party ideas.
Lighting, Fire, Fountains, Pool & Ambience #4
Some homeowners who are renovating their backyards find it challenging to create the ambiance they want. A relaxing and comforting bath is one thing, but you also want something unique and personal. It must also be completely exposed to the elements without any walls or ceilings.
What is ambiance?
You can create the atmosphere you want by using lighting, fire pits, lanterns, and water features in creative ways. You should consider your surroundings and the surrounding environment first. Are you able to see the ocean or nearby mountains? Are your gardens and landscaping in perfect condition? Then maybe you don’t need too many additional elements to create ambiance – let your stunning backdrop do the talking!
If If you want to add other elements, then creating a pleasing outdoor ambiance is one of the most important simple backyard ideas. Making sure the mood and overall feel of the space is what you want is important. Will you be telling scary stories in the room? Adding a fire pit to the room is a great idea. It is a great idea to install a pool in your Arizona backyard to get the kids outside in the summer and actually enjoy the hot weather. A backyard oasis can be created with certain key features that provide a relaxing atmosphere and character.
You can create ambiance in your backyard with these simple ideas:
- Light up your outdoor dining table or outdoor bar with some string lights. Decorate your gazebo or yurt with lanterns. Just enough light will illuminate pathways and spaces, but not so much that you feel like you’re inside!
- There is no better way to socialize than around a fire pit with plenty of seating. An outdoor fire pit on a warm summer night is the epitome of cozy. Creating a backyard living space where you and your guests will want to gather and share a glass of wine is easy with stone and brick fire pits.
- Fountains and water features are just as soothing and relaxing as an outdoor swing or hammock. One of the best simple backyard ideas to help you transform your outdoors into an outdoor oasis features a cool breeze and a large tree swaying overhead.
- A swimming pool is sure to keep your family and friends entertained for days on end! There’s no need to play video games or watch TV when your own backyard oasis has a swimming pool.
5th Space: Trellis, Pergola, Arbor, Veranda, Yurt, & Gazebo
Trellises, pergolas, arbors, verandas, yurts, and gazebos are some of the ways to distinguish between outdoor roTrellis, pergolas, and arbors allow the natural environment to take center stage.n outdoor sitting area or dining area with slightly more protection from the elements and lots of outdoor seating, then a veranda, yurt, or gazebo makes the most sense.
No matter how you do it, delineating outdoor spaces is one of the best simple backyard ideas to help you create your own backyard oasis!
- Are you wondering what a trellis is? The trellis is a wood or metal lattice structure that is used to display climbing plants outside. It consists of a lattice of wood, metal, or bamboo. Trellis is usually composed of vertical panels that don’t create shade or form an arch or roof.
- A pergola is what? Pergolas, like arbors, support climbing plants, but pergolas have a roof and posts instead of an arch. A pergola usually covers a larger area, such as a sitting area, dining area, or long walkway.
- How do arbors work? The structure of an arbor incorporates a trellis, which creates a tunnel-like passageway with climbing plants along its surface. Arbors are often part of garden gates.
- The veranda: What is a veranda? There is a roofed platform along the outside edge of a house known as a veranda. Verandas are typically open-aired porches topped with roofs and surrounded by railings.
- The yurt: What is a yurt? Yurts are portable round tents. The walls and ceiling are typically latticed with wood or bamboo.
- Gazebo: What does a gazebo look like? Gazebos are similar to yurts, except that they are open to the elements. Gazebos do not have walls; instead, they have a railing that goes around the octagonal shape. There are eight posts connecting the railing and floorboard to the roof.
Artwork is the sixth way to personalize
Adding a personal touch to your backyard living space can transform it from a simple outdoor space into the backyard oasis you’ve always dreamed of!
You can personalize your backyard oasis with these simple ideas:
- Your wooden fence can be transformed into a mural.
- Accent your garden with recycled materials, such as old bathtubs, old wooden doors, or metal headboards.
- Give an old wooden chair a fresh coat of paint! While it’s not sturdy enough to sit on, it’s definitely stable enough to hold a potted plant.
- Fill a wagon with smaller potted plants. Or, make a small flowering bed with the wagon!
- Transform an antique wood headboard into a gate to attach to your pergola or arbor.
- Place garden statues (like imps, gnomes, or gargoyles) throughout your flower beds.
- Have an old stump leftover from a large tree in your backyard? Paint a checkerboard on its surface.
- Paint your garden shed so that it looks like it is part of a mystical, magical forest.
- Design unique pathways through your flower beds by using curved structures.
- Using broken pottery, create a mosaic for your stepping stone pathway, benches or birdbaths.
- You can use the shape and design of garden furniture to accent and complement your garden plants.
- To create a focal point in the garden, start a collection of garden watering cans.
- Old wooden step ladders can be painted a bright color and adorned with potted plants.
That’s all there is to it!
Using these six simple backyard ideas, you can transform your boring outdoor space into an oasis!
Don’t break the bank to create your dream backyard! It isn’t that hard and it doesn’t cost a lot either! Create the backyard oasis you’ve always wanted by following these six simple backyard ideas!
The author of this post is Kara Roberts, a blogger and content writer for Canvas Vows. A number of publications, including Brides, have featured our custom-made canvas prints. Visit our blog for more interior design ideas, gift ideas, anniversary celebrations, and personalized canvas creations!